BREAST MILK AND FORMULA: HOW SIMILAR ARE THEY?
It is one of the biggest and the most difficult decision for new parents: breastfeed or formula-fed your baby. No matter what you decide. This is a choice only for you and your baby.
Breastfeeding is the nutrition for infants. But it may not be possible for all women. Infant formula is a healthy alternative with nutrients for babies’ healthy growth.
Let’s look at each method, maybe it will help you to make the right choice for you and your baby.
Breastmilk is good for your baby in many ways:
- You do not pay for it.
- It includes protein, carbohydrates, calcium and fat.
- It helps babies to resist illness.
- Breastfeed babies are usually less gassy and constipated, because it is easily digested than formula.
- It may raise your child's intelligence.
- It may reduce the possibility of being overweight or the risk of developing asthma and other medical problems. Breastmilk is not just food, it protects your baby.
- It is available any time.
- Breastfeeding is also good for moms; they have a low risk of breast cancer, heart disease, diabetes.
- You can pump and it allows moms to feed in public or some family members can help you with a baby for a few hours.
Breastfeeding is a great experience with your baby. It is a perfect food for infants.
Formula is also great choice for your baby:
- It is very convenient and flexible. Anybody can feed your baby at any time.
- Babysitter, your partner or some family members can help you.
- Schedule feedings are easier.
- You do not have to worry what you are eating and you can have a glass of wine anytime.
- But the formula does not contain the same antibodies found in breast milk.
Breastmilk and formula both provide energy, hydration and nutrients that are needed for your baby’s growth. They build the brain, digestive and immune systems. One of the benefits of breast milk over formula is that it’s a living fluid. It adapts to your baby’s changing lifestyle.
Baby formula milk is made of skimmed cow’s milk with added emulsifiers and stabilisers to help the oils and water mix when you make up the feed.
In fact, breastfeeding saves you more time in general, as you don’t need to do as much washing up, sanitising, boiling water and prepping bottles of formula – your milk is always ready at the right temperature.
Many women decide on one method before the birth and then change their minds after their baby is born. It does not matter which way you choose: breastfeeding or formula feeding. The most important thing is that you and your baby feel good.
More blog posts on our Instagram page @best4yourbabyshop